Yall Not Hungry: Pantry Staples
In all the mayhem of growing up, sometimes you just want to find some comfort in your food. An easy recipe that won't fail, a vibey restaurant with food that will never disappoint, or just a how-to guide for grit-free French pressed coffee. Because after a hard week of adulting, you just want a guaranteed win. Well your franns are here for you! In addition to the things no one told us, the franns are now swapping their food related favorites! Meals, grocery lists, restaurants, coffee, alladat! Your franns got your back. So as Auntie Tab would say, “get into it!”
Moving across the country or moving anywhere really means cleaning out your fridge, dumping your pantry, and completely stocking a new place. You never really know what it takes to stock a home until you have to do it yourself! Somehow your parent’s place always has sauces, sugar, and snacks! Like have you ever actually seen your mom buy vinegar or nutmeg?! No! It just exists. It exists as long as you live there. But once you leave, POOF! No flour, no Lawry’s, no nothing! Chile, you don’t even get a complimentary roll of toilet paper when you move into a new spot! You’re starting from scratch!
Now as many times as Cager and I have moved, you would think I would have a pretty good idea of how to stock and restock a pantry, but I was surprised by how bare our cabinets were (even after many trips to the grocery store). While I finally feel okay about the status of my kitchen essentials, I figured why not save you the same heartache.
So, Paris is rebuilding her pantry after moving across the country, and I’m trying to merge pantries and kitchens after just moving in with my partner. We’re both trying to establish An Essential Pantry, probably in an attempt to develop superpowers. Or maybe because it simply feels so good to talk about over FaceTime while I make faces at Baby Sis. Here’s some things we jotted down that are like, a couple of months moved into a new home's level of essential pantry items. (We’ll probably share a more established version in a few months too.)
A Girlfriend’s Guide for Pantry Essentials
Seasonings
The Good Salt (and the other stuff too)
What is the go to seasoning blend that makes you feel like home? I need the TJ’s Italian Sofrito Blend
Black pepper
Powdered garlic and onion
Giant container of minced garlic in oil
Dried Basil
Better than Bouillon
Baking Essentials
Flour
White Sugar
Brown Sugar
Baking Soda
Pancake Mix
Canned Goods
Canned tomatoes
Canned beans
Canned Meat/Fish (tuna, salmon, chicken, etc.)
Canned Coconut milk
Dry Goods
Dried pasta
Rice
Dried lentils
Tortillas
Coffee and tea!!!
Condiments
Tapatio
Mustard
Mayo
Honey
Barbeque Sauce
Syrup
Oil & Vinegar
White Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar
Butter/Olive Oil/Frying Oil - I’m getting butter to start. And then olive oil because I don’t fry like that…
Snacks
Peanut butter
Nuts/Seeds
Tortilla chips / Goya Green Salsa
Chocolate
Brownie Mix
A Word from the Author
“Hi, I’m Abi, one of Paris’s best friends and Baby Sis’s favorite aunties! Paris and I are often facetiming when there’s a need for that timeless “but what do I make for dinner with what’s in my fridge right now?!” conversation. There are a few reasons why I’m a decent person to have that conversation with- I’ve been cooking professionally since I was an actual child (who said it was ok to put 12 year olds in kitchens???). I began in a church (haha oh right that’s who) cafeteria, and 20 years later, my experiences have ranged widely. From coffeeshops to fine dining, to vegan co ops, I have learned a lot. At the moment I’m a baker, and if you ask very very nicely I might cook for you and your family :).
Paris asked me which accomplishments I’m most proud of, and about my relationship with and love for food- it strikes me that perhaps I really am a sucker for a compliment, as well as coming off the extreme high of just catering a few weddings for enthusiastic friends, but the nights that stand out in my memory are nights I have been able to share the food I have made with people I love. They’re indecipherable memories for me, the cooking with the eating with the sharing. And that’s probably why stocking my pantry is such an important emotional piece of stability for me. Large or small numbers, a variety of dietary needs, limited budget or just what’s in the pantry, I love to have that experience as a way to create a memory with friends. Also, the food was so super good.”
Abi is Text to My Girlfriends’ Food Correspondent. She’s the field reporter for all things food in the T2MG universe and we’re so excited to have her insight. I’ve had the food and baby it’s bomb! And I’ve seen her make dinner for 12 when I know that fridge was empty! She’s truly a wonder in the kitchen. Welcome to the team, Abi!
Comments
Post a Comment