Birthday Buttercream
I live for a good short cut. I don’t want the road less traveled - slightly traveled will do. Like I was a big fan of Rachel Ray’s 30 minute meals. It was an interesting meal but quick. It’s really how I like to live. So when it came to Sis’s birthday cake, I was looking for a corner to cut that wouldn’t take away from the homemade vibe. I decided on a box cake, but homemade frosting.
Frosting really makes or breaks a cake. It’s what separates muffins from their glamorous cousins - the cupcakes. And since it was Baby Sis’s first birthday, the frosting was the most important part. I mean she is eating with her hands. We won’t get into the Buttercream vs. Whip Cream debate today. Honestly, I don’t have time to tell you why buttercream is the clear winner - just know Sis’s cake had bettercream on it.
As for the cake, I bought a box of Funfetti and baked it according to the box instructions in 2 6in rounds. I like to set my timer for the lowest time in the suggested range. I find that I always get a moist product that way. After cooling the cake for some time, I started to work on the buttercream. I originally envisioned a crumb coat with rosettes but what I finished with was a Milk Birthday Cake inspired cutie. Sis ultimately loved it and the frosting was lick-the-blades delicious.
Ingredients
½ lb Butter - softened
4 c. Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1-2 Tbsp Milk
Let’s Make Frosting
Cream the butter until it’s smooth
Gradually mix in the powdered sugar.
Mix in the vanilla extract.
Gradually mix in the milk until frosting is the desired consistency. (The exact quantity will vary)
Comments
Post a Comment