When I Think of Home
For me, it’s often a distinct flavor of the home. Similar to remembering how my grandma’s house smelled when I was growing up, the enduring taste at the home of my closest family friends (I homeschooled with them every day for two years, so we’re talking CLOSE!) was from the can of Tony Chachere’s. Just a whiff of it now can jolt me back for a moment, to the huge old wooden house, standing out with its brilliantly painted gingerbread, as a rarity built among the archetypical brick homes of St. Louis. I’m sitting on a stool at the island in the kitchen, and Mrs. Rice is giving our odd angsty little crew of not yet blossomed adolescents a fierce exhortation. “Your worth is not based in what you accomplish!” she would remind us, while dishing out bowls of the platonic ideal of chicken noodle soup, which we inhaled with rolls and, of course, Tony’s.
When Paris sent me her home’s blends, I was delighted by the Cajun blend she mixed. It’s becoming my own amped up version of Tony’s, a mix that holds love from women who have loved me across the years of my life. One of my partner’s favorite weeknight staples is shrimp, rice, and vegetables- and from the moment Paris’s Creole blend crossed my doorstep, it’s transformed that routine into a magical moment that takes me back to a moment as a scared teenager when I was actively being loved. Hopefully I’m able to share that with my nieces and nephews when I hand them a plate.
It’s a meal that we don’t spend a lot of energy making- there’s always frozen shrimp and broccoli in the freezer, always rice and onions and garlic in the pantry. Ideally I’d also have fresh bell peppers for my own holy trinity but these days it really depends on how long it’s been since I have been to Aldi’s! It’s meant to be comfortable and grounding, to give energy rather than demand it. Substitutions are welcome.
1/2 an onion, diced
3 cloves, at least, of garlic, minced or slivered
1 bell pepper, diced
2 c. rice, medium white grain
a head of broccoli, or your choice of veggie
4 c. your choice of broth
~20 shrimps
cilantro and a lime
Dice about half onion, and begin to sauté in butter and oil.
Begin the process of rinsing your rice!
I like to layer my spice application- you’ll get used to this habit of mine. I think I get more expansive and nuanced layers if I add my spices at about three different points during the process, and the first addition for me happens after the onions have started to soften. I add the garlic and the diced bell peppers, and a generous amount of the spice blend. Let this meld for a moment while you give yourself your own pep talk. Promise yourself that you are worthy of love, regardless of anything you accomplished today. Add your favorite frozen green vegetables. Here it’s nearly always broccoli or squash-peas are controversial in this home but I love them too! Cover and cook till the broccoli is easily stabbed.
When your rice water is running clean, add your rice to its pot with salt and about enough water that it looks like it’s twice the height of the rice in the pot. Cover it, and put it on high. When it comes to a boil, turn it off and let it wait till dinner’s ready. If you’re feeling fancy and you have it on hand, I love tearing up cilantro into the rice. Adding a splash of vinegar can be a fantastic way to add complexity to this dish.
Here I add either broth, a beer, or a can of tomato juice to my sauté pan. It should be enough to cover everything. This is your moment to really taste it, add another generous helping of seasoning, salt and get it close to where you want it to be. I set my frozen scrimps on the top of the stewy mess and let it simmer for about 4 minutes, give or take depending on how big your shrimps are! Nobody wants to chew on a tough little dude. Taste again, especially with an eye for acidity. The juice from half of a lemon or lime here will work wonders!
Serve over the rice, with a final, fresh sprinkle of the spice blend to perk up the aroma as you eat it.
About the Author



Comments
Post a Comment